MUN World

Model United Nations. It's your MUN world.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Motion to set the agenda...

MUN conferences and clubs differ all over the world in their rules, styles, and philosophies. These differences make up a greater MUN culture. As cheesy as it sounds, MUN is an international phenomenon, one that I think is worth discussing. Thus, I've created this blog.

I want this blog to generate discussion on issues concerning the Model UN community. My posts will be essays on different aspects of MUN. I'd like feedback, and if anonymous commenters could sign their posts or at least mention where they're from, that'd be great. If enough momentum builds, I'd want to regular contributors to join this blog.

I propose the following topics, but by no means should it limit the issues addressed by this blog nor should it have to be addressed in the following order. If you want to change the agenda, make a motion!

1. The Value of MUN

How valuable is MUN as a learning tool? Does it effectively teach international relations? Or is it more important that students learn how to research, speak publicly, debate, and write resolutions, even without a mature understanding of international politics? Does MUN encourage too much "BS"-ing?

2. Awards

Do awards bring out the best or the worst in delegates? Are awards necessary to motivate delegates? If they are, how should delegates be evaluated? Or is it impossible for chairs to accurately evaluate delegates?

Do awards encourage clubs to conspire in how their conferences give awards? Should high school MUN advisors predicate class grades on awards? Are awards necessary in order for schools to justify financial support of their MUN clubs?

3. Realism

Should MUN be more realistic? Is it acceptable for delegates representing small, developing countries to spite global realities and hegemonic superpowers in order to dominate their committee? If not, should delegates then be forced not to go "off-policy?" Or does MUN suggest that personality more than power moves international politics?

4. A Rich Kid's Sport?

Do the costs of attending conferences make MUN exclusive? If so, what should be done about it?

5. Committee and Conference Ideas

I got mine. What are yours?

6. MUN Stories

Despite their toolishness, MUNers know how to party; share your tales of debauchery!




In truth, perhaps a bulletin board would better serve the MUN community, although I believe UNA-USA is in the middle of setting up one through their Global Classrooms program. And I don't have the webspace or knowledge to create one. Either way, here's the first post of my little MUN soapbox. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ryan, this is Sarah. Hi. Edwardjones12989577 thought your blog was pimp.

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SHOW ME YOUR PENIS

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SHOW ME YOUR PENIS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home